The following puzzles were created by Mr. Terry Stickels, a renown syndicated puzzle writer ( USA WEEKEND magazine and King Features Syndicate ) who has written 35 puzzle books. Some of his puzzles are published here with his permission. Please visit his site and take a look at his wonderful puzzle books, they are located HERE.
3. I have some rare coins. Each coin either has a value of 12 silver pieces or 7 gold pieces. 40 of my coins are going to be exchanged for silver and gold coins. I just found out that there are only 119 gold coins left. How many silver coins should I expect to receive with those 119 gold coins?
4. There are 100 people applying for a job that requires both a science and business background. 12 have no experience in either field. 64 have a science background and 80 of the applicants have a business background. How many of the applicants have a background in science and business?
6. Suppose all the counting numbers were arranged in rows and
columns as shown below:
A B C D E F
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 __ __ __ __
Under what letter will the number 2000 appear?
7. A special group of engineers from the Army has been selected to work on a new project. There are 120 lieutenants, 53 captains, and 37 majors and a group of colonels that comprises 3/10 of the total group. How many engineers in total are working on this project?
9. What is the probability of drawing three clubs in a row from a
normal deck of 52 cards? The cards are not returned to the deck once they've been chosen.
A) a little more than 1%
B) 1 out of 4
C) 1 out of 10
D) 1 out of 13