51. A grandfather clock chimes the appropriate number of times to indicate the
hour, as well as chiming once at each quarter hour. You are in another room and hear the clock chime just once, figuring that it could be any time of
day, which period of time (hours and minutes), or how many minutes total would be the longest period of time you would have to wait in order to determine the
52. Traffic was really bad going to work this morning. I only managed to average 30 mph. At what speed must I travel home tonight to average 60 mph for the entire round trip?
53. There are 2 numbers that total 225 and have a ratio of 2 to 13. What are the numbers?
54. A man bought a number of turkeys at a cost of $60.00, and after reserving
fifteen of the birds he sold the remainder for $54.00, thus gaining .10¢ a head by these. How many turkeys did he buy?
55. What 3-digit number (including a decimal point) will give you the same answer whether you subtract 5 or divide by 5?
56. If there are 4 empty seats in a movie theatre, how many combinations are there for the number of ways 4 people could sit in these seats?
57. What is the 4-digit number (no zeros) in which the third and fourth
digits are a baker's dozen; the second digit is the sum of the third and fourth, and the first digit is double the last?
58. The speed of one train is 6 mph slower than the speed of a second
train. The first train travels 198 miles in the same time it takes the second train to travel 264 miles. What is the speed of the first train?
59. In a recent contest, 45 participants were awarded $300,000 in prize
money. The money was divided into prizes of $4,000 and $8,000. Each of the participants received one prize. How many participants received the
$4,000 prize and how many received the $8,000 amount?
60. What is the four-digit number in which the first digit is one-third the
second, the third is the sum of the first and second and the last is three times the second?