991. Something about this list of presidents makes them special. Do you know
what it is?
James Garfield, Ulysses S. Grant, Benjamin Harrison, Rutherford B. Hayes, Abraham Lincoln
992. Can you think of two words ending in "r" that have a silent
993. Insert + or - between the numbers to make the equation work:
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 = 68
If you don't place a symbol between numbers, they merge to form a multi-digit number.
994. What two words, formed from different arrangements of the same eight letters,
can be used to complete the sentences below?
Told by his doctor that he had to lose weight, Henry contemplated the choice of _________ on the tray. "I had a bad day at the office," he
said, "and I can never resist when I'm ________."
995. Today is Friday. What day falls two days before the day after the day
996. Joan is now half Jane's age. Three years from now Joan will be
three times as old as she was three years ago, but three years ago Jane was three times Joan's age at that time. How old are they both now?
997. To the best of our knowledge, only one other word can be made from all of the
letters in the word VACATIONIST. Can you get it?
998. Find the number that best completes the following sequence.
60 60 24 7 __ 10
999. Which of the following words is the odd one out?
1000. What one four-letter word can be placed before each of the words below to
make four new words? (Hyphenated words may be used.)
_ _ _ _ A R M
_ _ _ _ B I R D
_ _ _ _ S T I C K
_ _ _ _ A G E
1001. Fill in the missing digits below and complete the multiplication problem.
Each question mark always represents the same digit.
1 0 0 0 0 1
x ? ? ? ? ?
1002. Fill in the blanks below to complete three words that contain the letters
DEC_ _ _ _ _ (proper)
_ _ _ DE _ _ C (widespread)
_ _ D _ _ EC _ (pensive)
1003. Start with MEAT and end up with BONE in only five steps, changing one letter
at a time to form the interim words.
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
1004. What is the 5-digit number (including zero) in which the last digit is twice
the first, the second digit is the difference between the third and the first, and the fourth digit is the sum of the first and third added and then subtracted
from the fifth.
1005. What four-letter word inserted in the blank below will create two new words
from those on either side? (Hyphenated words are allowed.)
FRAME ________ PLACE