916. Change the last letter of each pair of words below to create two new
words. Then put the new letter on the line between them. When you have finished, you will have a new word, reading down. (Ex: bet ___ hit = bat A
beet ___ play
bass ___ roll
arid ___ dive
pout ___ dyed
918. Mimi has half as many brothers as she has sisters but her brother Paul has five times as many sisters as he has brothers. How many boys and girls are in the family? (hint: there are no more than 10 children.)
920. Joe has 27 socks altogether. He's lost an occasional one in the laundry and now has 9 each of black, blue, and white socks. How many socks must he take out of his bureau drawer (without looking) to be sure of a pair of white socks?
922. Bill, John, and Fred are going to marry Betty, Joan, and
Sally. Can you tell which girl is going to marry which man if the listed facts are true?
Bill is a lawyer. Betty is not engaged to the engineer.
The doctor's future wife is not Joan. John is engaged to Sally.
Fred is the engineer.
923. A chemistry teacher began the day's lecture. He held up a glass tube and said to his class, "In this vial I have a liquid which immediately melts any substance it touches." He got no further. A student loudly replied, "Professor, you're just trying to kid us." Can you think as rapidly as the student and tell how it was that he knew the professor wasn't telling the truth?
924. John was trying to take a short cut through a very narrow tunnel when he heard the whistle of an approaching train behind him. Having reached three-eighths of the length of the tunnel, he could have turned back and cleared the entrance of the tunnel running at 10 miles per hour just as the train entered. Alternatively, if he kept running forward, the train would reach him the moment he would jump clear of the tracks (at the exit.) At what speed was the train moving?
925. In a small town, it was discovered that 90% of the people drank coffee, and 80% drank tea. Also, 70% drank Bourbon whiskey, and 60% drank Vodka. None of the people drank all four items, but they all drank at least 3 of the four beverages. What percent of the people drank liquor?
926. Tony has three times as many brothers as he has sisters but each sister has seven times as many brothers as sisters. If there are no more than 10 siblings, how many boys and girls are in the family?
928. A very thrifty housewife was checking soap prices in a store. She noticed that brand A was 50% more in price than brand C and contained 20% less weight than brand B. However, brand B was 50% heavier than brand C and cost 25% more than brand A. Which soap was the best buy?
929. Find a word that fits the first definition, then add a "W" in front
of it to make a new word that matches the second definition.
Place a "W" in front of an insect, and create a need or desire.
Place a "W" in front of a shelving system, and get a word meaning to stress or tear.
This one's too easy, see if you can do it in your head!
What is the 4-digit number (no zeros) in which the first digit is one-eighth of the last digit, the second digit is the sum of the first and last digits and the third digit is twice the first?