62. Can you determine the word that this verse describes?
My first is in fish but not in snail
My second in rabbit but not in tail
My third in up but not in down
My fourth in tiara but not in crown
My fifth in tree you plainly see
My whole a food for you and me
65. All of the vowels (A, E, I, O, and U, but not Y) have been removed from the
following proverb, and the remaining letters broken into groups of 3 letters
each. Replace the vowels to find the proverb.
BRD SFF THR FLC KTG THR
66. Some words can be anagrammed into apt descriptions of themselves. For
instance, ENDEARMENTS is a word that applies to TENDER NAMES; VILLAINOUSNESS is
obviously the word fitting AN EVIL SOUL'S SIN. Can you work out the 6
1. Voices rant on
2. A rope ends it
3. Often sheds tears
4. Apt is the cure
5. Nine thumps
6. Is not solaced
67. Artie has 2 more brothers than he has sisters. His sister Margo has four more brothers than she has sisters. If there are fewer than 10 children in the immediate family how many boys and girls are there?
69. When written out solidly in upper case type and without a hyphen, the number TWENTYNINE is the only number---repeat the only number---that is very unusual and consists of ...what? If TWENTY-NINE is written with the hyphen, there is a modification that must be made to ensure that it too possesses the property which the unhyphenated version has. What is it?
72. Two pieces of chain were found on a battlefield. The chains were formed of circular links, all of the same size, made from metal half an inch thick. One piece of chain was precisely 3 feet long. The other piece was 22 inches. Assuming that 1 piece of chain contained 6 links more than the other, how many links were there in each piece of chain?
74. It's hard to go back to school after vacation, but you have to get to work
sometime. Go from FAIL to PASS in only four steps, changing one letter at
a time and making a good English word at each step.
F A I L
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
_ _ _ _
P A S S
75. A gentleman who died recently left just over $8000 to be divided between his widow, his five sons, and four daughters. He stipulated that every son should receive three times as much as a daughter, and that every daughter should receive twice as much as their mother. If the precise amount left by the man was $8000.07, how much did the widow receive?