616. Somehow or other I got talked into buying something on the installment plan. I'm not sure I got a good deal. The payments to date, according to my checkbook, have reached $96. The second year cost $2.00 more than the first year; the third year cost $3.00 more than the second; and the fourth year cost me $4.00 more than the third. What were my payments the first year?
618. Alice, Ben, Charlie, David and Ed entered a contest to guess how many jelly beans are in a jar. Alice guessed 30, Ben guessed 28, Charlie guessed 29, David guessed 25 and Ed guessed 26. Two were off by 1, one was wrong by 4 and one by 3. One was correct. How many jelly beans are in the jar?
619. Find the word that fits the first definition, then add an "S" in
front of it to make a new word that matches the second definition.
Place an "S" in front of a black, road-filling substance, and make a heavenly body.
Place an "S" in front of an expressive musical sound, and make a rock.
621. Mary, Jane, and Sue went bird watching. Each of them saw one bird that none of the others did. Each pair saw one bird that the third did not. One bird was seen by all three. Of the birds Mary saw, two were yellow. Of the birds Jane saw, three were yellow. Of the birds Sue saw, four were yellow. How many yellow birds were seen in all? How many non-yellow birds were seen in all?
624. There are one thousand lockers and one thousand students in the school. The principal asks the first student to go to every locker and open it. Then he has the second student go to every second locker and close it. The third goes to every third locker and, if it is closed, he opens it, and if it is open, he closes it. The fourth student does this to every fourth locker, and so on. After the process is completed with the thousandth student, how many lockers are open?
627. Jennifer didn't like to tell her age, so when she was asked, her mother
answered for her. Her mother said, "I'm just seven times as old as she is now. In twenty years, she'll be just half the age that I will be then."
How old is Jennifer?
628. Nicole was sure she got the right answer when her botany teacher asked her to
pick out the plant that was not a tree from the list below. Which one would you choose?
Peach, Plum, Walnut, Linden, Banana