527. The first word of the following word square the words read the same down and
across has been filled in for you. Fill in the remaining words so that you use three E's; two each S, L 0. G, R, and A; and one T in total for the whole
529. Karen, Sheena and Joe each won a prize at the Christmas party. Karen gave her chocolate to Sheena in exchange for her water
pistol. Karen then changed with Joe for the book. Then Sheena and Joe swapped prizes.
Who has which gift?
530. Pat went shopping for supplies for her wedding. She spent half of what she had plus $2.00 on table favors at the party store. At the next store, she spent half of what she had left plus $4.00 for a charm for her maid of honor. In the last store, she spent half of what was left plus $4.00 for stockings. At the end of her spree she was left with $4.00 to spend on thank you cards. How much money did she start with?
531. My husband and I can't seem to get our watches to work properly. His consistently runs one minute per hour fast, and mine runs two minutes per hour slow. This morning we nearly missed a wedding because our watches were an hour apart and we looked at the slower one. How many hours had elapsed since we set both of them properly?
533. One day a man decides to buy a talking parrot. So he goes to a pet store. The owner tells the man he has one bird left, and that the bird will repeat any word it hears. So the man buys the bird and takes it home and starts talking to it. But the bird never repeats a word. What's wrong?
534. The logic professor posted a notice on his class door: "Class is canceled today on account of spring. We will meet again at 1:00 P.M. three days after two days before the day before tomorrow." What day does the class meet?
537. We put a spore in a test tube. Every hour the spore divides into three parts, all the same size as the original part. If we put it in at 3 PM., at 9 PM. the tube will be completely full. At what time will the tube be one-third full?
539. Figure out the word concealed in the following poem. (First, second, etc.,
refer to letters of a word.) By selecting the right letter you will come up with an appropriate word.
My first is in silly but not in fool
My second in pupil but not in school
My third in read and also write
My fourth in glimpse and also light
My fifth in ten but not in three
My last in glad and also glee
My whole a season of the year
That's clue enough to solve it here.
540. Bill adored using telephones. One day, when the telephone wires were down because of an electrical storm, he mailed a letter to a friend. It said 2255 7666378. His friend, knowing Bill's fondness for telephones and having the same model phone, soon got the message. Can you decode it?