271. You have one of those fancy double boilers whose lid fits either pot. They aren't very heavy pots either. The bigger pot weighs 12 ounces by itself; with the lid on, it weighs twice as much as the little pot without the cover. The little pot with the lid on weighs one-third more than the big pot all by itself. What does the pot lid weigh by itself?
272. In four years, Ryan will be as old as Rachel is now, and Rachel will be three times as old as Ryan is now. At the moment, Rachel is twice as old as Ryan. How old are they provided Rachel is not yet a teenager?
276. Can you come up with the word that is related to the four words below? The word can be combined with each of the four words to form one complete new
word, two separate words, or hyphenated words.
hunt overboard post repair
278. My head and tail both equal are,
My middle slender as a bee.
Whether I stand on head or heel
Is quite the same to you or me.
But if my head should be cut off,
The matter's true, though passing strange
Directly I to nothing change.
What am I?
280. Fill in each of the blanks below with a word that means the same as the words
on either side.
(to put a coating on) _____________ (piece of a place setting)
(no longer alive) ____________ (tardy)
282. A recent newspaper article ran as follows:
The higher court today vacated the injunction restraining the police from interfering with the pickets opposing the distribution of pamphlets attacking the Anti-Tobacco League.
You needn't be a lawyer to answer these questions:
a. Were the police pleased?
b. Were the distributors pleased?
c. Were the picketers pleased?
d. Were the cigarette companies pleased?
e. Was the Anti-Tobacco League pleased?
283. Ten years ago, a man was offered a motorcycle for $1024, but he declined to buy it. A year later, he was offered the same motorcycle for $640, but again decided not to buy it. A little while after that, he was again offered the motorcycle for $400. Again, he declined to buy it. Last week, he declined to buy the motorcycle again, even though it was now offered for $250. If the owner offers it for sale yet again, and he makes a consistent reduction of the price, how much will it be the next time he offers it for sale?
284. I travel high and low. I scale to
the heights and then again travel back down. By reading the lines, I can be found. But if you read between the lines, you will also find me. Without me a
lot of the world would be without sound.
What am I?