1. Bill went out to buy some golf equipment. He spent half of what he had plus $5. at the first store. He spent half of what was left plus $4. at the second store. At the third store he spent half of the remainder plus $3. He then had $5. left to buy golf balls. How much money did he start with?
2. Reduce the high brow language below to a common saying. One who retires to his nightly repose at an hour deemed not too tardy and gets up in the same manner, will tend to keep himself in good physical condition, good monetary condition and sapient.
3. What 2 words, formed from different arrangements of the same 9 letters, will complete the sentence below?
The homesick recruit told his civilian buddy, "I guess I should have been __________to my father when he told me to go to school instead of ___________."
4. Lee, Joe, Sue, Janet and Charles took a math exam. Charles was not last, Janet was not first or last. Charles scored higher than Joe, Janet scored higher than Sue, Lee scored lower than Joe but higher than Janet. Who had the highest score?
8. Fill in the blank below with a word that when it is read first forward and
then backward means the same as those on either side. ( Ex: cooking tools _ _ _ _ cease), the answer is POTS - STOP.
part of a piece of furniture _ _ _ _ _ _ prize.
12. The local grocer is a would-be mathematician. He likes to arrange his apples in nice rows. However, when he lays his apples in rows of 3 he has one left over. When he lays them in rows of 5 he also has one left over. Remarkably he also has one left over when he arranges them in rows of 7 and 9. 11 seems to be the magic number, for, in rows of 11 there are no apples left over. How many apples does the grocer have?
13. John is such a great painter, that he was asked to paint the room numbers on all of the doors of the fourth floor of the local hotel. He painted all of the numbers from 400 to 499. How many times did he paint the number 4?
14. My first is in bridge but not in ridge.
My second is in awake and in mistake.
My third is in danger but not in ranger.
My fourth is in flange and in orange.
My fifth is in spline and in wine.
My last is in river and in diver.
My whole likes the darkness.
What am I?